Sunday, May 17, 2009

Death is not dying

I recently learned about a video of Rachel Barkley, a wife and mother of two, speaking "about her life and impending death to a group of ladies in Vancouver." I haven't seen it yet but plan to watch it with my wife.

Some comments from others:

It is a compelling case for the gospel and the sufficiency of God's grace in His Son, Jesus Christ. ... Watch the video. Then encourage others to do so, as well. And pray for Rachel and her husband Neil, and their children, Quinn and Kate. (Founders Ministries Blog)

(She) delivered one of the most God-centered, gospel-soaked, honest, moving, and beautiful messages I have heard. I don’t know that Rachel has read John’s article, Don’t Waste Your Cancer, but she is a beautiful example of every point John made. (Desiring God Blog)

Rachael in her own words from the presentation: In His providence, God has used the tough things in my life to draw me closer to Him; to show me His great love and to teach me many things. I have learned that I am not perfect and I have the scars to prove it- thirteen of them, and they serve as the physical reminder of a spiritual reality that I can never be perfect on my own. I need a Savior. I have learned that the greatest evidence of God’s love is seen when I stand at the foot of the cross. He took my shame upon Himself and rescued me. I have learned that being a Christian is not just hope for the future, although it is most definitely that. It is the joy of knowing and trusting in a God who is loving and faithful no matter what the circumstances. (A Purposed Composition)

(HT: Founders Ministries Blog)

Update: Rachel Barkey (nee Sawer) went home to her Lord on July 2, 2009 at 37 years of age. Rachel is survived by her husband Neil and her children Quinn and Kate, parents Ben and Cathy Sawer, brother David (Johanna) Sawer and sister Andrea Sawer. (Source: Death is Not Dying)

No comments: