Sunday, May 3, 2009

Some practical questions to ask when 'hearing' the Word

From Sovereign Grace Fellowship senior pastor Rick Gamache’s April 6, 2008, sermon on Hebrews 5:11-6:8 titled “Consider Jesus: The Problem, the Pathway, and the Peril” (audio timeline 25:31 to 24:50):

Earnest hearing is always asking in response to what’s preached:
  • What does this mean for me today?
  • What does this mean for me for how I spend my money this week?
  • What does this have to do with what I look at on television and on the Internet and in a movie theater?
  • What does this say about how I spend my leisure time?
  • What does this have to say about how I love my wife (or husband or child or neighbor)?
  • What does this have to say to me about how I honor my parents?
  • What does this mean about the clothes I choose to wear as the weather gets warmer?
  • What does this have to do with how I respond to people who sin against me?
It's hearing with the goal of putting into practice the word that’s heard.

No comments: