Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Why does Michael Patton (a Calvinist) go to an Arminian church?

Why does Michael Patton (a Calvinistic complementarian), who recently moved from Texas to Oklahoma, go to an Arminian, egalitarian church (Crossings Community Church in Oklahoma)?

"Grace and truth," said Patton in short. "The two most important elements in my hierarchy of looking for a church."

While Patton said there are many reasons, in a recent post at Parchment and Pen he highlights the three most important and then attempts to help people gain perspective in choosing a church.

Here are his three reasons:

1. Crossings teaches the Gospel and focuses on it.
2. Crossings teaches grace and does not divide over non-cardinal issues.
3. I am needed and used there.

Patton further adds:

Would it be better if they were Calvinists? Would it be better if they were Complementarians? Sure, as long as they kept the grace. But, if I have the choice, I will never trade perfect theology (or nearly so) for grace. Grace is the Gospel. When you lose that, where do you go? Stay in bed.

You will never find the perfect church … never! There is no perfect denomination. There is no perfect tradition. There is no perfect church and there never has been. Although (Stonebriar Community Church in Texas) was close, it was not that close.

I go to a church that is full of grace and truth. That is why I go to an Arminian church. If there were a Calvinistic church like Stonebriar that was full of grace and truth (and there are some), I might go there. But right now, I feel as if I am where God wants me to be.

Read Patton's entire article here, where he explains his three reasons.

No comments: