Friday, April 3, 2009

Wise words from a 73-year-old saint

Knox Chamblin, professor emeritus of New Testament at Reformed Theological Seminary in Jackson, Mississippi, wrote the Generation to Generation article in the March Tabletalk magazine. He shared the following comments in his article, some of which are paraphrased:

I urge you, whatever your calling, to commit yourself to the serious study of the Holy Scriptures.

If I believe the Bible is God's infallible Word, why do I expend so little effort to mine its treasures? (paraphrase)

(There is a) need for both utter dependence on God and unrelenting discipline.

The crucial dimension of the heart is the will. Failure to do the truth shows that I have not grasped the truth. (James 1:22; 1 John 3:18; Colossians 1:9-10) ... "All right knowledge of God is born of obedience" (John Calvin, Institutes, 1.6.2).

I shudder to think what course my life would have taken had it not been for the heavenly Father's patience, mercy, and love to His stubborn and wayward child.

I give thanks to God the Son. He loved me, and He went to the cross to save me from the sins that enslaved me, to crucify the record of guilt that the demonic powers used against me (Col. 2:13-15). He is my wisdom, my righteousness, my holiness and my redemption (1 Cor. 1:30). I know have a far more radical view of human wickedness and personal sin than before. For this very reason, I have a far more radical view of grace: what was long an important concept is now a preeminent reality.

No comments: