Monday, October 1, 2012

The fruit of the Spirit is ... temperance

Daily Light Devotions - October 1 - Morning

The fruit of the Spirit is ... temperance.

But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, self-control; against such things there is no law. 1 

Every athlete exercises self-control in all things. They do it to receive a perishable wreath, but we an imperishable. So I do not run aimlessly; I do not box as one beating the air. But I discipline my body and keep it under control, lest after preaching to others I myself should be disqualified. 2 

And do not get drunk with wine, for that is debauchery, but be filled with the Spirit, 3 

Then Jesus told his disciples, "If anyone would come after me, let him deny himself and take up his cross and follow me. 4 

So then let us not sleep, as others do, but let us keep awake and be sober. For those who sleep, sleep at night, and those who get drunk, are drunk at night. But since we belong to the day, let us be sober, having put on the breastplate of faith and love, and for a helmet the hope of salvation. 5 

training us to renounce ungodliness and worldly passions, and to live self-controlled, upright, and godly lives in the present age, waiting for our blessed hope, the appearing of the glory of our great God and Savior Jesus Christ, 6 
______________ 

1. Gal 5:22,23; 
2. 1 Cor 9:25-27; 
3. Eph 5:18; 
4. Matt 16:24; 
5. 1 Thess 5:6-8; 
6. Tit 2:12,13

No comments: