Friday, August 24, 2012

The Canons of Dordrecht: 2nd Main Point of Doctrine - Rejection of the Errors VII

The Canons of Dordrecht 

The Second Main Point of Doctrine: Christ’s Death and Human Redemption Through It 

Rejection of the Errors:

Having set forth the orthodox teaching, the Synod rejects the errors of those

VII. Who teach that Christ neither could die, nor had to die, nor did die for those whom God so dearly loved and chose to eternal life, since such people do not need the death of Christ. For they contradict the apostle, who says: Christ loved me and gave himself up for me (Gal. 2:20), and likewise: Who will bring any charge against those whom God has chosen? It is God who justifies. Who is he that condemns? It is Christ who died, that is, for them (Rom. 8:33-34). They also contradict the Savior, who asserts: I lay down my life for the sheep (John 10:15), and My command is this: Love one another as I have loved you. Greater love has no one than this, that one lay down his life for his friends (John 15:12-13).

No comments: