Thursday, August 9, 2012

Broken cisterns, that can hold no water

Daily Light Devotions - August 9 - Evening

Broken cisterns, that can hold no water.

for my people have committed two evils: they have forsaken me, the fountain of living waters, and hewed out cisterns for themselves, broken cisterns that can hold no water. 1 

Now Adam knew Eve his wife, and she conceived and bore Cain, saying, "I have gotten a man with the help of the LORD." 2 

Then they said, "Come, let us build ourselves a city and a tower with its top in the heavens, and let us make a name for ourselves, lest we be dispersed over the face of the whole earth." So the LORD dispersed them from there over the face of all the earth, and they left off building the city. 3 

So Lot chose for himself all the Jordan Valley, and Lot journeyed east. Thus they separated from each other. And Lot lifted up his eyes and saw that the Jordan Valley was well watered everywhere like the garden of the LORD, like the land of Egypt, in the direction of Zoar. (This was before the LORD destroyed Sodom and Gomorrah.) Now the men of Sodom were wicked, great sinners against the LORD. 4 

And I applied my heart to know wisdom and to know madness and folly. I perceived that this also is but a striving after wind. For in much wisdom is much vexation, and he who increases knowledge increases sorrow. 5 

I made great works. I built houses and planted vineyards for myself. I also gathered for myself silver and gold and the treasure of kings and provinces. I got singers, both men and women, and many concubines, the delight of the sons of man. Then I considered all that my hands had done and the toil I had expended in doing it, and behold, all was vanity and a striving after wind, and there was nothing to be gained under the sun. 6 

On the last day of the feast, the great day, Jesus stood up and cried out, "If anyone thirsts, let him come to me and drink. 7 

For he satisfies the longing soul, and the hungry soul he fills with good things. 8 

Set your minds on things that are above, not on things that are on earth. 9 
______________ 

1. Jer 2:13; 
2. Gen 4:1; 
3. Gen 11:4,8; 
4. Gen 13:11,10,13; 
5. Eccl 1:17,18; 
6. Eccl 2:4,8,11; 
7. John 7:37; 
8. Psa 107:9; 
9. Col 3:2

No comments: