Sunday, January 23, 2011

The choice vine

Bagster's Daily Light - January 24 - Evening

The choice vine.

Binding his foal to the vine and his donkey's colt to the choice vine, he has washed his garments in wine and his vesture in the blood of grapes. 1

Let me sing for my beloved my love song concerning his vineyard: My beloved had a vineyard on a very fertile hill. He dug it and cleared it of stones, and planted it with choice vines; he built a watchtower in the midst of it, and hewed out a wine vat in it; and he looked for it to yield grapes, but it yielded wild grapes. 2

Yet I planted you a choice vine, wholly of pure seed. How then have you turned degenerate and become a wild vine? 3

Now the works of the flesh are evident: sexual immorality, impurity, sensuality, envy, drunkenness, orgies, and things like these. I warn you, as I warned you before, that those who do such things will not inherit the kingdom of God. But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, self-control; against such things there is no law. 4

"I am the true vine, and my Father is the vinedresser. Every branch in me that does not bear fruit he takes away, and every branch that does bear fruit he prunes, that it may bear more fruit. Abide in me, and I in you. As the branch cannot bear fruit by itself, unless it abides in the vine, neither can you, unless you abide in me. By this my Father is glorified, that you bear much fruit and so prove to be my disciples. 5
______________

1 Gen 49:11;
2 Isa 5:1,2;
3 Jer 2:21;
4 Gal 5:19,21-23;
5 John 15:1,2,4,8

No comments: