Tuesday, July 3, 2012

Things which are despised, hath God chosen

Daily Light Devotions - July 3 - Evening

Things which are despised, hath God chosen.

God chose what is low and despised in the world, even things that are not, to bring to nothing things that are, 1 

And they were amazed and astonished, saying, "Are not all these who are speaking Galileans? 2 

While walking by the Sea of Galilee, he saw two brothers, Simon (who is called Peter) and Andrew his brother, casting a net into the sea, for they were fishermen. And he said to them, "Follow me, and I will make you fishers of men." 3 

Now when they saw the boldness of Peter and John, and perceived that they were uneducated, common men, they were astonished. And they recognized that they had been with Jesus. 4 

and my speech and my message were not in plausible words of wisdom, but in demonstration of the Spirit and of power, so that your faith might not rest in the wisdom of men but in the power of God. 5

You did not choose me, but I chose you and appointed you that you should go and bear fruit and that your fruit should abide, so that whatever you ask the Father in my name, he may give it to you. I am the vine; you are the branches. Whoever abides in me and I in him, he it is that bears much fruit, for apart from me you can do nothing. 6 

But we have this treasure in jars of clay, to show that the surpassing power belongs to God and not to us. 7 
______________ 

1. 1 Cor 1:28; 
2. Acts 2:7; 
3. Matt 4:18,19; 
4. Acts 4:13; 
5. 1 Cor 2:4,5; 
6. John 15:16,5; 
7. 2 Cor 4:7

No comments: