Sunday, April 10, 2011

I am black, but comely

Daily Light Devotions - April 10 - Morning

I am black, but comely.

I am very dark, but lovely, O daughters of Jerusalem, like the tents of Kedar, like the curtains of Solomon. 1

Behold, I was brought forth in iniquity, and in sin did my mother conceive me. 2

And your renown went forth among the nations because of your beauty, for it was perfect through the splendor that I had bestowed on you, declares the Lord GOD. 3

But when Simon Peter saw it, he fell down at Jesus' knees, saying, "Depart from me, for I am a sinful man, O Lord." 4

Behold, you are beautiful, my love, behold, you are beautiful! Your eyes are doves behind your veil. Your hair is like a flock of goats leaping down the slopes of Gilead. 5

therefore I despise myself, and repent in dust and ashes." 6

You are altogether beautiful, my love; there is no flaw in you. 7

So I find it to be a law that when I want to do right, evil lies close at hand. 8

And behold, some people brought to him a paralytic, lying on a bed. And when Jesus saw their faith, he said to the paralytic, "Take heart, my son; your sins are forgiven." 9

For I know that nothing good dwells in me, that is, in my flesh. For I have the desire to do what is right, but not the ability to carry it out. 10

and you have been filled in him, who is the head of all rule and authority. 11

Him we proclaim, warning everyone and teaching everyone with all wisdom, that we may present everyone mature in Christ. 12

And such were some of you. But you were washed, you were sanctified, you were justified in the name of the Lord Jesus Christ and by the Spirit of our God. 13

But you are a chosen race, a royal priesthood, a holy nation, a people for his own possession, that you may proclaim the excellencies of him who called you out of darkness into his marvelous light. 14

______________

1 Sol 1:5; 2 Psa 51:5; 3 Ezek 16:14; 4 Luke 5:8; 5 Sol 4:1; 6 Job 42:6; 7 Sol 4:7; 8 Rom 7:21; 9 Matt 9:2; 10 Rom 7:18; 11 Col 2:10; 12 Col 1:28; 13 1 Cor 6:11; 14 1 Pet 2:9;

No comments: