Saturday, July 7, 2012

The Son of man came ... to give his life

Daily Light Devotions - July 7 - Evening

The Son of man came ... to give his life ...

even as the Son of Man came not to be served but to serve, and to give his life as a ransom for many." 1 

For if the blood of goats and bulls, and the sprinkling of defiled persons with the ashes of a heifer, sanctify for the purification of the flesh, how much more will the blood of Christ, who through the eternal Spirit offered himself without blemish to God, purify our conscience from dead works to serve the living God. 2 

He was oppressed, and he was afflicted, yet he opened not his mouth; like a lamb that is led to the slaughter, and like a sheep that before its shearers is silent, so he opened not his mouth. 3 

just as the Father knows me and I know the Father; and I lay down my life for the sheep. No one takes it from me, but I lay it down of my own accord. I have authority to lay it down, and I have authority to take it up again. This charge I have received from my Father." 4 

For the life of the flesh is in the blood, and I have given it for you on the altar to make atonement for your souls, for it is the blood that makes atonement by the life. 5 

Indeed, under the law almost everything is purified with blood, and without the shedding of blood there is no forgiveness of sins. 6 

but God shows his love for us in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Since, therefore, we have now been justified by his blood, much more shall we be saved by him from the wrath of God. 7 
______________ 

1. Matt 20:28; 
2. Heb 9:13,14; 
3. Isa 53:7; 
4. John 10:15,18; 
5. Lev 17:11; 
6. Heb 9:22; 
7. Rom 5:8,9

No comments: