Saturday, May 14, 2011

The fellowship of His sufferings

Daily Light Devotions - May 14 - Morning

The fellowship of His sufferings.

that I may know him and the power of his resurrection, and may share his sufferings, becoming like him in his death, 1

It is enough for the disciple to be like his teacher, and the servant like his master. If they have called the master of the house Beelzebul, how much more will they malign those of his household. 2

He was despised and rejected by men; a man of sorrows, and acquainted with grief; and as one from whom men hide their faces he was despised, and we esteemed him not. 3

I have said these things to you, that in me you may have peace. In the world you will have tribulation. But take heart; I have overcome the world." 4

If you were of the world, the world would love you as its own; but because you are not of the world, but I chose you out of the world, therefore the world hates you. 5

Reproaches have broken my heart, so that I am in despair. I looked for pity, but there was none, and for comforters, but I found none. 6

At my first defense no one came to stand by me, but all deserted me. May it not be charged against them! 7

And Jesus said to him, "Foxes have holes, and birds of the air have nests, but the Son of Man has nowhere to lay his head." 8

For here we have no lasting city, but we seek the city that is to come. 9

Therefore, since we are surrounded by so great a cloud of witnesses, let us also lay aside every weight, and sin which clings so closely, and let us run with endurance the race that is set before us, looking to Jesus, the founder and perfecter of our faith, who for the joy that was set before him endured the cross, despising the shame, and is seated at the right hand of the throne of God. 10
______________

1 Phil 3:10;
2 Matt 10:25;
3 Isa 53:3;
4 John 16:33;
5 John 15:19;
6 Psa 69:20;
7 2 Tim 4:16;
8 Matt 8:20;
9 Heb 13:14;
10 Heb 12:1,2

No comments: