Friday, May 27, 2011

Let us not be desirous of vain glory

Daily Light Devotions - May 18 - Evening

Let us not be desirous of vain glory.

Let us not become conceited, provoking one another, envying one another. 1

And Gideon said to them, "Let me make a request of you: every one of you give me the earrings from his spoil." (For they had golden earrings, because they were Ishmaelites.) And they answered, "We will willingly give them." And they spread a cloak, and every man threw in it the earrings of his spoil. And Gideon made an ephod of it and put it in his city, in Ophrah. And all Israel whored after it there, and it became a snare to Gideon and to his family. 2

And do you seek great things for yourself? Seek them not, for behold, I am bringing disaster upon all flesh, declares the LORD. But I will give you your life as a prize of war in all places to which you may go." 3

So to keep me from becoming conceited because of the surpassing greatness of the revelations, a thorn was given me in the flesh, a messenger of Satan to harass me, to keep me from becoming conceited. 4

Do nothing from rivalry or conceit, but in humility count others more significant than yourselves. 5

Love is patient and kind; love does not envy or boast; it is not arrogant or rude. It does not insist on its own way; it is not irritable or resentful; 6

Take my yoke upon you, and learn from me, for I am gentle and lowly in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. 7
______________

1 Gal 5:26;
2 Judg 8:24,25,27;
3 Jer 45:5;
4 2 Cor 12:7;
5 Phil 2:3;
6 1 Cor 13:4,5;
7 Matt 11:29

No comments: